Mar 4, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Space Coast Stadium hosts the Braves today.
Jason Marquis gets his first chance to pitch this spring today, hoping to build off his strong finish from last season and put his otherwise wretched 2010 completely behind him at last. The veteran right-hander has been in good health so far this spring and has every reason to believe his elbow injury is a thing of the past.
We'll see today how much progress Marquis has made against a split-squad Braves team that is sending a few regulars to Viera, including Martin Prado, Nate McLouth and Brian McCann.
Most of the Nationals' regulars are in the lineup today, the only exceptions being Ian Desmond and Ivan Rodriguez. Adam LaRoche is playing, though he's again restricted to DH duties while dealing with some minor shoulder soreness.
In other news today, both Chien-Ming Wang and Tom Gorzelanny pitched in the morning minor-league intrasquad game, facing each other. Gorzelanny tossed two innings; Wang was pulled after one inning with some shoulder stiffness. We'll have to see if that's reason for actual concern or only a minor blip in the Taiwanese right-hander's long-term recovery.
BRAVES (ss) at NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 73 degrees, Wind 20 mph LF to RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
LF Roger Bernadina
RF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend
- Nats call up Xavier Cedeno, send Blake Treinen to Syracuse
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)
- Williams faces first real test as Nationals manager
- Nats' defensive mistakes add up in loss to Cardinals
- Nats lose 8-0 to Cardinals on Wainwright's two-hitter