Nats vs. Braves (ss) – 3/4/11

Mar 4, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT

File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Space Coast Stadium hosts the Braves today.

Jason Marquis gets his first chance to pitch this spring today, hoping to build off his strong finish from last season and put his otherwise wretched 2010 completely behind him at last. The veteran right-hander has been in good health so far this spring and has every reason to believe his elbow injury is a thing of the past.

We'll see today how much progress Marquis has made against a split-squad Braves team that is sending a few regulars to Viera, including Martin Prado, Nate McLouth and Brian McCann.

Most of the Nationals' regulars are in the lineup today, the only exceptions being Ian Desmond and Ivan Rodriguez. Adam LaRoche is playing, though he's again restricted to DH duties while dealing with some minor shoulder soreness.

In other news today, both Chien-Ming Wang and Tom Gorzelanny pitched in the morning minor-league intrasquad game, facing each other. Gorzelanny tossed two innings; Wang was pulled after one inning with some shoulder stiffness. We'll have to see if that's reason for actual concern or only a minor blip in the Taiwanese right-hander's long-term recovery.

BRAVES (ss) at NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV/Radio: None
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 73 degrees, Wind 20 mph LF to RF

STARTING LINEUPS
NATIONALS
CF Nyjer Morgan
LF Roger Bernadina
RF Jayson Werth

Read more ยป

1. Anonymous - Mar 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM

WOW Great test for Beachy as well who I believe, is one of the top pitching prospects for Atlanta. Nationals hitters need to know one thing if they want to win today: hit the ball Conrad's way and you will get on base somehow. Thanks for the update on Tom. I was wondering when we will see him pitch in a ST game.

2. A DC Wonk - Mar 4, 2011 at 5:51 PM

"Wang was pulled after one inning with some shoulder stiffness. We'll have to see…"Ughh . . . I hate sentences that start like that . . .

3. Tcostant - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Will Wang ever pitch an inning as a National in a regular season game?

4. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Wonk, just keep reminding yourself, "*Wang" is pronounced *Wong*."But not vice versa, which is lucky for you.

5. Anonymous - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Shoulder stiffness is probably never a minor blip on someone who had Drew Brees Surgery.

6. Anonymous - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:22 PM

"Wonk, just keep reminding yourself, "*Wang" is pronounced *Wong*."But isn't "wonk" pronounced "wank"?

7. Dave - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Holy crap! Marquis has thrown 11 strikes, no balls. Got through three innings scoreless without throwing a single ball. One hit, one strikeout.Maybe this is the Marquis the Nats thought they had signed last winter?

8. Steve M. - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Dave, they aren't tracking actual pitches on MLB Gameday but yes, 9 up and 9 down by Marquis is great news!

9. Dave - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM

10. Dave - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Steve M., I realize they're not tracking the pitch, but they do seem to have an indicator for strikes and balls, or? Is that stat next to the pitcher's photo not accurate?

11. Steve M. - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Dave, they aren't tracking balls just strikes and not sure how accurate that is.

12. JD - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Nice job by Marquis.

13. PAY TO PLAY - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM

and on another note, Nyjer Morgan is now batting .083 and making everyone look spot on with their assessments of him.This will get real interesting. Is it time to start the Nyjer Cut-icide watch?

14. Dave - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Okay. Well, anyway, Marquis went three complete and gave up one hit. No runs, one K. A good outing for Jason.

15. JD - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:55 PM

And the Nyjer bashing begins !!

16. Mark'd - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:58 PM

What is the Las Vegas Over/Under for the this aptly named Nyjer Morgan Cut-icide Watch and I say March 11.BTW, nice outing by Marquis!!!

17. HHover - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Does anyone else find it amusing that the Ritalin munching LaRoche appears in the boxscore as "LaRoche, Ad DH"?

18. jd - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM

HHover, Not before you mentioned it but it is kind of funny in a morbid sense.

19. Mark'd - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM

What isn't funny is Ryan Zimmermans own lack of offense and 2 DPs he has batted into. My observers in FLA say Zim seems like his body fat index has gone in the wrong direction. Can anyone confirm?

20. JD - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Lack of offense? Zim has had 7 at bats. Can you guys chill? Hey; Marrero is 4 for 4 batting .1000; you think this means anything?

21. Anonymous - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Wang = Hill/Patterson?Gorzelanny = Olsen?MM

22. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Dave said…Hey Mark, how do we get back to the main blog page from a single post? The title banner no longer shows up as a link to the blog home page. How do I get back "home"?Works for me. Have you given it another try?

23. HHover - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

MarkIt works in Firefox, but not IE.

24. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Thanks, HHover. I didn't realize that since I use Firefox. I'll let our designer Greg know about the problem and hopefully he can fix it.

25. Steve M. - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

26. PAY TO PLAY - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I am on an archaic computer running on IE 6.0 and it works for me.

27. CapPeterson - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM

FWIW, in his interview with the Sports Junkies this a.m. Zim, in response to a question, gave no indication he had changed his off-season routine. FWIW.

28. The Zim Watch - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Zim does have that hot new girlfriend Heather as I had a chance to meet her so I am sure his routine changed a little. FWIW;-))

29. MGG - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM

What was that about Zimmerman? He just homered.

30. Mark Zuckerman - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM

OK, just heard back from Greg about the Internet Explorer issue. He says it should work, but two suggestions for anyone having problems:1. Clear your cache and cookies.2. If you are using anything less than Version 8 of Internet Explorer, you should update it.Hope that helps.

31. The Zim Watch - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I knew once we start jabbing Zim he would hit a HR and now batting .250 FWIW

32. Tcostant - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Want to give full credit to Nats Journal at washington.post for this update:Bottom 3, 1:40: Just had to get this in: The game was just delayed for about 90 seconds by what appeared to be a swarm of bees that briefly took over right field, sending fans (and Braves right fielder Jordan Schafer) scrambling for cover. The creatures are gone now, and play has resumed.Nats are leading 2-0 in the 5th. A bee strom – scary stuff!

33. PAY TO PLAY - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Mark Zuckerman said… problems:1. Clear your cache and cookies.2. If you are using anything less than Version 8 of Internet Explorer, you should update it.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~If you can lend me some cache, I promise I will use it to update my Compaq 3XB running on Internet Explorer 6.0.My computing experience sucks.

34. Steve M. - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Bryce Harper is in the game!

35. Mark'd - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:56 PM

36. hondo69 - Mar 4, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Mark'd — LOL, the Post of the Day!!!————– Mark'd said… My ex-wife cleared out my cash and cookies and I have to rely on my cellphone as my computer.

37. Steve M. - Mar 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM

38. Doc - Mar 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM

@ HHover: Actually the correct medical nomenclature is ADHD, not ADDH. But comical just the same.Not sure if LaRoche is still being prescribed meds?

39. Anonymous - Mar 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Harper had quite the day per the NJ. He is a work in progress. SO, error, misplayed fly ball…

40. Dave - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:09 PM

The banner-link will work okay for me at home–Firefox on a MacBook Pro–but not at work. The computers on my school's network have IE7. Oh well.

41. JD - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Steve M. Ok, now that Zim homered we are going to stress over Storen? Cmon; it's spring training; people are working on things; he is gonna be fine.

42. JaneB - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:45 PM

What JD said.

43. hondo69 - Mar 4, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Dave — Until the problem is fixed, you can just click on "Home" at the bottom of each page.

44. N. Cognito - Mar 4, 2011 at 10:07 PM

IE8 – banner link no work

45. Anonymous8 - Mar 4, 2011 at 10:25 PM

JD, you have to stop calling people out when someone is critical and close to correct on an opinion and/or statement, and you have to get the person's name right. I just read through everything and the only comment from Steve M. with regards to Zim is this:If Ryan Zimmerman goes 3 for 3 tomorrow he will be batting .400 so I agree, chill. On the BF index, I just hope he continued his winter workout and nutrition regimen. March 4, 2011 2:30 PM Nothing wrong with that except he is wrong on the stats unless that was before Zim hit the HR. A 3 for 3 day would put Zim at .454The comments on Storen were harsh but accurate:What a horrible performance by Storen. That is back to back sub-par appearances and both while facing AAA and AA guys. March 4, 2011 3:36 PM He isn't saying cut the guy or send him to AAA rather it was a horrible performance against Minor League quality guys, and probably wasn't helped by a catchable ball in RF.

46. Mark'd - Mar 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM

What Anonymous8 said.

47. Sunderland - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:59 PM

IE8, banner link did not work.Cleared temporary files and coockies, all good now.Anon8, you have lost me being critical of JD today. I just don't see what you are referring to.BTW, HHover, Pay2Play and Mark'd, enjoyed you all especially today. This is the best Nats blog by far.

48. Anonymous8 - Mar 5, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Sunderland, if JD wants to call someone out, get the right person.Also, if someone is critical but accurate, they should be allowed to speak their mind IMO. I thought the Storen comment was on point.Otherwise, it is all good. I also enjoyed some of the humorous banter. Spring Training is supposed to be fun, so lets all enjoy.

49. JD - Mar 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Anon8, I am not calling anyone out. I am just suggesting that people should chill about irrelevant small sample performances. You know what Zim is going to give you so who cares what he does in 7 at bats in games which don't count? Storen may be working on a new pitch or trying some new grip; so who cares if he gives up a bunch of runs in games which are designed for just such experimentation? BTW; if you guys choose to stress over every spring training at bat then go for it; whatever makes you happy. Also; people on the bubble like Balester, Detwiler, Stairs etc don't have the luxury of just preparing for the season; they must impress or risk losing their jobs. They can stress over poor spring performances.

50. Dave - Mar 5, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I am basically with JD on this. As nice as it feels to have the Nats at 3-2 in Grapefruit League play, it means nothing. And in fact, it could be even thought of as detrimental to spring training to consider these games (or player stats) meaningful.I would add Morgan to your list of people on the bubble, JD. He has plenty to prove, just by virtue of last year's season.There are people in camp who simply need to work on their stuff, and there are other people in camp who are auditioning. Neither of these things necessarily leads to good team performance in these practice-games.