Mar 5, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Steinbrenner Field, spring home of the New York Yankees.
Big-name players don't usually make a 3-hour bus ride across the state for a road exhibition game. When the Nationals traveled to Tampa last spring to face the Yankees, hardly anyone of consequence played.
But look what we've got today: Ryan Zimmerman, Ivan Rodriguez, Ian Desmond and Michael Morse all are in the lineup. Not a bad travel roster, given the circumstances. They'll all get a shot to face Yankees ace CC Sabathia, a nice little test for March 5.
Bryce Harper, who grew up idolizing the Yankees, also made the trip and is scheduled to come off the bench, though I'm guessing CC will have long since showered and left the park by the time Harper steps to the plate.
NATIONALS at YANKEES
Where: Steinbrenner Field, Tampa
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV/Radio: Yankees radio via XM and MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 77 degrees, Wind 13 mph RF to LF
CF Jerry Hairston
SS Ian Desmond
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Desmond turns emotional after likely Nats finale
- Harper loses batting title but sets up for MVP
- Nats' season ends with 1-0 loss to the Mets
- Rizzo: Decision on Williams will come soon
- Tanner Roark starts in season finale for the Nationals
- Nats rookie fractures hand in first career start
- Putting Scherzer's no-hitters into historical context
- Escobar error spoils Scherzer's bid for perfect game
- Scherzer throws 2nd no-hitter of season, shuts out Mets
- Scherzer tries to finish season on high note