Mar 7, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals host the Astros today at Space Coast Stadium.
After getting two-hit by the Braves yesterday, the Nationals have a few more regulars in the lineup for this afternoon's game against the Astros. And for the first time this spring, they've got Adam LaRoche at first base. His sore shoulder apparently no longer a significant issue, LaRoche has been cleared to play the field. (If you missed it earlier, I wrote a full feature on the Nats' new first baseman today for CSNwashington.com.)
Another intriguing pitcher takes the mound for this one: Yunesky Maya. The Cuban right-hander has looked sharp all spring and now gets his first chance to start a Grapefruit League game. (John Lannan, whose regular turn is today, is pitching in a minor-league intrasquad game.) Like Ross Detwiler, who was fantastic yesterday, Maya is trying to parlay a strong spring into a spot in the Nationals' Opening Day rotation. Whether there's actually a spot for him on March 31 remains to be seen.
No TV broadcast today, but Charlie and Dave can be heard on 1580 AM. Enjoy the game…
ASTROS at NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WHFS (1580 AM)
Weather: Mostly sunny, 70 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
DH Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss