Mar 7, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals host the Astros today at Space Coast Stadium.
After getting two-hit by the Braves yesterday, the Nationals have a few more regulars in the lineup for this afternoon's game against the Astros. And for the first time this spring, they've got Adam LaRoche at first base. His sore shoulder apparently no longer a significant issue, LaRoche has been cleared to play the field. (If you missed it earlier, I wrote a full feature on the Nats' new first baseman today for CSNwashington.com.)
Another intriguing pitcher takes the mound for this one: Yunesky Maya. The Cuban right-hander has looked sharp all spring and now gets his first chance to start a Grapefruit League game. (John Lannan, whose regular turn is today, is pitching in a minor-league intrasquad game.) Like Ross Detwiler, who was fantastic yesterday, Maya is trying to parlay a strong spring into a spot in the Nationals' Opening Day rotation. Whether there's actually a spot for him on March 31 remains to be seen.
No TV broadcast today, but Charlie and Dave can be heard on 1580 AM. Enjoy the game…
ASTROS at NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WHFS (1580 AM)
Weather: Mostly sunny, 70 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
DH Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed