Mar 7, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals host the Astros today at Space Coast Stadium.
After getting two-hit by the Braves yesterday, the Nationals have a few more regulars in the lineup for this afternoon's game against the Astros. And for the first time this spring, they've got Adam LaRoche at first base. His sore shoulder apparently no longer a significant issue, LaRoche has been cleared to play the field. (If you missed it earlier, I wrote a full feature on the Nats' new first baseman today for CSNwashington.com.)
Another intriguing pitcher takes the mound for this one: Yunesky Maya. The Cuban right-hander has looked sharp all spring and now gets his first chance to start a Grapefruit League game. (John Lannan, whose regular turn is today, is pitching in a minor-league intrasquad game.) Like Ross Detwiler, who was fantastic yesterday, Maya is trying to parlay a strong spring into a spot in the Nationals' Opening Day rotation. Whether there's actually a spot for him on March 31 remains to be seen.
No TV broadcast today, but Charlie and Dave can be heard on 1580 AM. Enjoy the game…
ASTROS at NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WHFS (1580 AM)
Weather: Mostly sunny, 70 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
DH Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city