Mar 8, 2011, 3:14 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Digital Domain Park, spring home of the New York Mets.
The Nationals are only eight games into their Grapefruit League schedule, so it's too soon to pay a whole lot of attention to stats. Really, you always have to look at spring training stats with some level of skepticism, because different players are working on different things this time of the year. Sometimes, pitchers are instructed to work on one specific pitch. Sometimes, batters are intentionally trying to take a bunch of pitches just so they can see more and start to get more comfortable at the plate.
Having said all that, I decided to throw in some stats alongside today's lineup against the Mets. Not because they tell the whole story of a player's spring, but because they do give you a little sense of how guys have performed to date.
Jordan Zimmermann gets the ball today in Port St. Lucie, looking to duplicate his strong first spring outing (three scoreless innings against the Cardinals). Among those also scheduled to pitch are Rule 5 draftee Brian Broderick, Sean Burnett and Atahualpa Severino.
If you subscribe to the MLB.tv package, you can watch today's game online. The Mets radio feed is also available to subscribers of XM and MLB Gameday Audio…
NATIONALS AT METS (ss)
Where: Digital Domain Park, Port St. Lucie
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
TV: SNY (New York), MLB.tv
Radio: Mets radio via XM and MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 14 mph in from RF
DH Nyjer Morgan (1-for-16, R, 2 K)
SS Ian Desmond (5-for-16, 4 R, 2B, 3B, 3 RBI, BB, 4 K)
3B Jerry Hairston (3-for-14, 3 R, 2 2B, 2 RBI)
LF Michael Morse (6-for-16, 4 R, 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, BB, K)
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets