Mar 8, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Digital Domain Park, spring home of the New York Mets.
The Nationals are only eight games into their Grapefruit League schedule, so it's too soon to pay a whole lot of attention to stats. Really, you always have to look at spring training stats with some level of skepticism, because different players are working on different things this time of the year. Sometimes, pitchers are instructed to work on one specific pitch. Sometimes, batters are intentionally trying to take a bunch of pitches just so they can see more and start to get more comfortable at the plate.
Having said all that, I decided to throw in some stats alongside today's lineup against the Mets. Not because they tell the whole story of a player's spring, but because they do give you a little sense of how guys have performed to date.
Jordan Zimmermann gets the ball today in Port St. Lucie, looking to duplicate his strong first spring outing (three scoreless innings against the Cardinals). Among those also scheduled to pitch are Rule 5 draftee Brian Broderick, Sean Burnett and Atahualpa Severino.
If you subscribe to the MLB.tv package, you can watch today's game online. The Mets radio feed is also available to subscribers of XM and MLB Gameday Audio…
NATIONALS AT METS (ss)
Where: Digital Domain Park, Port St. Lucie
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
TV: SNY (New York), MLB.tv
Radio: Mets radio via XM and MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 14 mph in from RF
DH Nyjer Morgan (1-for-16, R, 2 K)
SS Ian Desmond (5-for-16, 4 R, 2B, 3B, 3 RBI, BB, 4 K)
3B Jerry Hairston (3-for-14, 3 R, 2 2B, 2 RBI)
LF Michael Morse (6-for-16, 4 R, 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, BB, K)
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals