Mar 9, 2011, 2:35 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats travel to Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter to face the Marlins.
Some of you have been asking about Ryan Zimmerman's absence from the lineup the last couple days due to a strained oblique muscle, and whether this injury is any cause for concern. By all accounts, the answer is no. This is a minor strain, unrelated to the one that sidelined Zim for the final 10 games last season. Sounds like if this was the regular season, he'd be playing.
Zimmerman's absence, though, does underscore one of the big reasons you can't read a whole lot into early spring training results: Teams rarely field their entire starting lineup. In fact, only once in 10 Grapefruit League games so far have the Nats trotted out a lineup that could legitimately resemble the one they'll have on Opening Day (March 1 against the Mets, though Adam LaRoche was still restricted to DH duties that day).
Managers do make a point to start using their regular lineup during the final week or two of camp, provided everyone's healthy. By then, Zimmerman's oblique should be a thing of the past.
As for today's game against the Marlins in Jupiter, well, Laynce Nix is hitting third. Need we say more…
(Programming note: I'll be appearing on today's episode of "Lunchbox Live" on CSNwashington.com, talking Nats (and possibly other stuff) with host Ivan Carter. The show begins at noon; click on this link to watch it live.)
NATIONALS at MARLINS
Where: Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 79 degrees, Wind 19 mph RF to LF
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Laynce Nix
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres