Mar 11, 2011, 6:44 PM EDT
The Nationals sent 11 players to minor-league camp this afternoon but did not include Bryce Harper among the first significant round of cuts of the spring.
Right-handers Garrett Mock and Adam Carr were optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. Fellow right-handers J.D. Martin, Luis Atilano and Josh Wilkie; catchers Carlos Maldonado and Jhonatan Solano; first basemen Michael Aubrey and Kevin Barker; and outfielders Jeff Frazier and Jonathan Van Every were all re-assigned to minor-league camp.
The Nationals also released reliever Cla Meredith, who after signing a minor-league contract over the winter reported to camp with an injured elbow and needed Tommy John surgery.
Today's moves leave the Nationals' spring training roster at 46 with less than three weeks remaining before Opening Day.
Perhaps more notable than the names of the players sent down was the name of one particular player who survived this round of cuts: Harper. The 18-year-old outfielder has impressed so far during his firstRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Span scores three runs for Hagerstown in minor league rehab game
- Doug Fister pitches in Viera, timetable for return set
- Bryce Harper back in Nats’ lineup to face Cardinals
- Nats return home to face Wainwright, Cardinals
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers making noise
- Nationals dominating opponents late in games
- Instant analysis: Nats 6, Marlins 3
- Nationals face dominant Fernandez in series finale
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper's heating up
- Strasburg’s poor outing continues troubling early season trend