Mar 11, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tom Gorzelanny has done little this spring but remains in line for a rotation spot.
Perhaps the most intriguing roster battle in Nationals camp this spring is for the final spot in the Opening Day rotation, with Ross Detwiler, Chad Gaudin and Yunesky Maya making a strong charge to bump Tom Gorzelanny from his perch.
Unless, of course, there really isn't a battle at all because Gorzelanny's going to get the job no matter what.
Truth be told, that's probably how this is going to play out in the end. Not because Gorzelanny will necessarily do anything to secure his place, but because the Nationals aren't focused on who their five Opening Day starters are as much as they're focused on establishing a stable of 10 or more starters who are likely to be needed during the course of the season.
We all tend to put too much emphasis on spring training competitions. Every once in a while, these battles really do matter because the loser winds up getting released or is never heard from again. But most of the time, the winner merely is assured of a big-league job for a few weeks while the loser heads to Syracuse knowing he's likely to be promoted in short order.
This is especially true when it comes to starting pitchers. As they've proven since they arrived in town, the Nationals need a lot more thanRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back