Mar 11, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tom Gorzelanny has done little this spring but remains in line for a rotation spot.
Perhaps the most intriguing roster battle in Nationals camp this spring is for the final spot in the Opening Day rotation, with Ross Detwiler, Chad Gaudin and Yunesky Maya making a strong charge to bump Tom Gorzelanny from his perch.
Unless, of course, there really isn't a battle at all because Gorzelanny's going to get the job no matter what.
Truth be told, that's probably how this is going to play out in the end. Not because Gorzelanny will necessarily do anything to secure his place, but because the Nationals aren't focused on who their five Opening Day starters are as much as they're focused on establishing a stable of 10 or more starters who are likely to be needed during the course of the season.
We all tend to put too much emphasis on spring training competitions. Every once in a while, these battles really do matter because the loser winds up getting released or is never heard from again. But most of the time, the winner merely is assured of a big-league job for a few weeks while the loser heads to Syracuse knowing he's likely to be promoted in short order.
This is especially true when it comes to starting pitchers. As they've proven since they arrived in town, the Nationals need a lot more thanRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder
- Storen leaves game with blister on big toe