Mar 12, 2011, 9:50 PM EDT
Bryce Harper was among four players cut by the Nationals following today's 6-5 win over the Yankees, bringing an end to the 18-year-old's first experience in a big-league spring training camp.
Harper was optioned to low-Class A Hagerstown, where he is expected to begin the season.
The three other players sent down were left-hander Atahualpa Severino (optioned to Class AAA Syracuse) and right-handers Tim Wood and Ryan Mattheus (re-assigned to minor-league camp).
Harper's demotion comes as no surprise. Despite his insistence he could challenge for a spot on the Opening Day roster, the Nationals had no intention of doing that. Team officials want last summer's No. 1 draft pick to gain experience at the lowest levels of the minor leagues before promoting him up the chain.
Harper wound up producing solid offensive numbers during his brief stint in big-league camp. In 13 games (all off the bench), he went 7-for-18 with three doubles, five RBI, a walk and three strikeouts. InRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays