Mar 14, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Tigers visit Space Coast Stadium this afternoon.
Jason Marquis has been nothing short of fantastic this spring, tossing seven scoreless innings having allowed only three hits and a walk while striking out four. It creates an interesting dilemma for the Nationals. If Marquis keeps this up, there could be growing interest from other clubs in search of pitching. Would they trade the veteran now or hope he can continue pitching well into the season and perhaps get more for him during the summer?
First things first, Marquis needs to continue his hot streak today against a Tigers lineup that includes Magglio Ordonez and Victor Martinez. Can he keep his sinker down in the zone and induce as many groundball outs as he has so far this spring?
Pretty good test for the Nationals' lineup today, with hard-throwing right-hander Rick Porcello on the mound for Detroit. Lots of regulars playing today, including the 1-through-5 of Morgan, Desmond, Werth, Zimmerman and Morse…
TIGERS at NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 73 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from LF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge