Mar 15, 2011, 8:00 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Mets host the Nats tonight at Digital Domain Park.
There are officially two weeks of spring training remaining. Fourteen days from now, the Nationals will be packing their bags and boarding a charter flight north in preparation for Opening Day. Which means it's time for everyone to start ratcheting things up a bit.
Perhaps not surprisingly, then, both the Nats and Mets are fielding lineups tonight that feature almost entirely regulars (or at least guys who are going to make their respective Opening Day rosters). The Nats are going without a DH for the first time this spring and probably will continue having their pitchers hit the rest of the way whenever they're playing in NL parks.
Tom Gorzelanny gets the ball for only his second start of the spring, this one coming on the heels of a less-than-spectacular appearance last week. We've detailed here several times why Gorzelanny's spot in the Opening Day rotation is probably safe, but it would still be nice to see him actually do something on the mound to help solidify his standing.
UPDATE — Turns out both Ryan Zimmerman and Ivan Rodriguez have been scratched from the lineup with injuries. Zimmerman has a groin strain; Jim Riggleman told reporters in Port St. Lucie the third baseman will miss at least five days, though he would be able to play if this was the regular season. Rodriguez strained a calf muscle during late-afternoon warm-ups and is likely to miss at least several days.
ANOTHER UPDATE — Michael Morse also was a late scratch from the lineup due to an illness. Laynce Nix replaced him in left field.
NATIONALS AT METS
Where: Digital Domain Park, Port St. Lucie
Gametime: 7:10 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 73 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF
RF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
Ryan ZimmermanJerry Hairston
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres