Mar 16, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Michael Morse seized the left fielder’s job with an impressive spring.
Three years ago, Jayson Werth’s career was at a crossroads. Despite physical gifts and some mild success in the big leagues, the then-28-year-old outfielder still hadn’t been given a chance to establish himself as an everyday player.
Everyone knows what has happened since. Finally given an opportunity by the Philadelphia Phillies, Werth saw his career take off. He won a World Series ring, made the All-Star team for the first time and parlayed it all into a $126 million contract with the Washington Nationals.
Through it all, Werth had something of a secret admirer from another ballplayer who likewise was still waiting for his opportunity to arrive. Michael Morse watched Werth from afar and wondered if a similar fate might await him.
“I’ve followed his whole career,” Morse said last month in Viera, Fla. “That’s what a lot of people compare me to. I get excited when somebody says: ‘You remind me of Jayson Werth.’ That makes me feel like I’m doing the right things.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Duda, Cespedes too much for Nationals
- Cespedes debuts for Mets, as Nats aim to even series
- Nats are in a real pennant race now
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats