Mar 16, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Michael Morse seized the left fielder’s job with an impressive spring.
Three years ago, Jayson Werth’s career was at a crossroads. Despite physical gifts and some mild success in the big leagues, the then-28-year-old outfielder still hadn’t been given a chance to establish himself as an everyday player.
Everyone knows what has happened since. Finally given an opportunity by the Philadelphia Phillies, Werth saw his career take off. He won a World Series ring, made the All-Star team for the first time and parlayed it all into a $126 million contract with the Washington Nationals.
Through it all, Werth had something of a secret admirer from another ballplayer who likewise was still waiting for his opportunity to arrive. Michael Morse watched Werth from afar and wondered if a similar fate might await him.
“I’ve followed his whole career,” Morse said last month in Viera, Fla. “That’s what a lot of people compare me to. I get excited when somebody says: ‘You remind me of Jayson Werth.’ That makes me feel like I’m doing the right things.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season