Mar 16, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Michael Morse seized the left fielder’s job with an impressive spring.
Three years ago, Jayson Werth’s career was at a crossroads. Despite physical gifts and some mild success in the big leagues, the then-28-year-old outfielder still hadn’t been given a chance to establish himself as an everyday player.
Everyone knows what has happened since. Finally given an opportunity by the Philadelphia Phillies, Werth saw his career take off. He won a World Series ring, made the All-Star team for the first time and parlayed it all into a $126 million contract with the Washington Nationals.
Through it all, Werth had something of a secret admirer from another ballplayer who likewise was still waiting for his opportunity to arrive. Michael Morse watched Werth from afar and wondered if a similar fate might await him.
“I’ve followed his whole career,” Morse said last month in Viera, Fla. “That’s what a lot of people compare me to. I get excited when somebody says: ‘You remind me of Jayson Werth.’ That makes me feel like I’m doing the right things.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?