Mar 16, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals travel to Osceola County Stadium today.
After a sudden flurry of injuries yesterday, the Nationals are resting easier today. It doesn't appear any of those injuries are serious. Ryan Zimmerman will miss several days with a sore groin but insists he would play if this was the regular season. Ivan Rodriguez will miss a couple of days with a strained calf. Michael Morse is back in the lineup after feeling sick yesterday. And Danny Espinosa appears only to have suffered a bruise when he fouled a ball off his foot last night in Port St. Lucie. Espinosa was due to undergo X-rays today, but only for precautionary reasons.
As for today's game against the Astros, Ross Detwiler gets another opportunity to make a case for himself to crack the Opening Day rotation. Today is actually Livan Hernandez's turn in the rotation, but it appears he's pitching in a minor-league game. The same will probably hold true tomorrow for John Lannan, with Yunesky Maya getting the start against the Braves.
Matt Stairs, the 43-year-old pinch-hitting specialist, also gets a rare opportunity this afternoon to start at first base. Could be interesting…
NATIONALS at ASTROS
Where: Osceola County Stadium, Kissimmee
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: Astros radio via XM-184 and MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Mostly sunny, 75 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to CF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Alex Cora
RF Jayson Werth
1B Matt Stairs
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen