Mar 16, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals travel to Osceola County Stadium today.
After a sudden flurry of injuries yesterday, the Nationals are resting easier today. It doesn't appear any of those injuries are serious. Ryan Zimmerman will miss several days with a sore groin but insists he would play if this was the regular season. Ivan Rodriguez will miss a couple of days with a strained calf. Michael Morse is back in the lineup after feeling sick yesterday. And Danny Espinosa appears only to have suffered a bruise when he fouled a ball off his foot last night in Port St. Lucie. Espinosa was due to undergo X-rays today, but only for precautionary reasons.
As for today's game against the Astros, Ross Detwiler gets another opportunity to make a case for himself to crack the Opening Day rotation. Today is actually Livan Hernandez's turn in the rotation, but it appears he's pitching in a minor-league game. The same will probably hold true tomorrow for John Lannan, with Yunesky Maya getting the start against the Braves.
Matt Stairs, the 43-year-old pinch-hitting specialist, also gets a rare opportunity this afternoon to start at first base. Could be interesting…
NATIONALS at ASTROS
Where: Osceola County Stadium, Kissimmee
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: Astros radio via XM-184 and MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Mostly sunny, 75 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to CF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Alex Cora
RF Jayson Werth
1B Matt Stairs
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ramos comes through with go-ahead hit against D'Backs
- Ramos' late heroics help Nats top D-Backs, snap losing streak
- Papelbon debuts Ric Flair intro song at Nats Park
- Strasburg feels good after 2nd rehab start
- Mets surge in division; struggle with grammar
- Former SNL star roasts Nats in Half Baked video
- Around the NL East: It's official -- The Mets are here to stay
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Fister's struggles continue, as Strasburg nears return
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East