Mar 17, 2011, 5:29 PM EDT
The Nationals optioned three players out of big-league camp today, sending first baseman Chris Marrero, right-hander Cole Kimball and outfielder Corey Brown to Class AAA Syracuse. They also re-assigned catcher Derek Norris to Class AA Harrisburg.
None of the four was likely to make the Opening Day roster, but Marrero and Kimball each impressed team officials this spring and positioned themselves to earn a promotion sometime this season.
Marrero, one of the Nationals' top prospects since he was selected in the first round of the 2006 draft, hit .381 with two doubles and three RBI in 12 Grapefruit League games. More importantly, he showed significant improvement in the field, the aspect of his game considered most suspect in the past.
Kimball, a hard-throwing reliever, wowed observers from his first bullpen session and then continued to impress in exhibition play. The 25-year-old allowed just one run in eight innings, striking out eight in the process.
Brown, acquired along with pitcher Henry Rodriguez from the Athletics in this winter's Josh Willingham trade, never got much of a chance toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister pitches Nationals to 2nd straight 1-0 win over Mets
- Span returns to Nats lineup after missing several games
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets
- Anthony Rendon has another setback in rehab from MCL sprain
- Gio starts as Nationals face Mets in New York
- Nats have had enough of the 8th inning
- Nats fall to Mets as Harvey bests Scherzer
- MLB amends rule involving Nats' top prospect
- Scherzer faces Harvey in marquee matchup
- Good news for Nats regarding Anthony Rendon's rehab