Mar 17, 2011, 5:29 PM EST
The Nationals optioned three players out of big-league camp today, sending first baseman Chris Marrero, right-hander Cole Kimball and outfielder Corey Brown to Class AAA Syracuse. They also re-assigned catcher Derek Norris to Class AA Harrisburg.
None of the four was likely to make the Opening Day roster, but Marrero and Kimball each impressed team officials this spring and positioned themselves to earn a promotion sometime this season.
Marrero, one of the Nationals' top prospects since he was selected in the first round of the 2006 draft, hit .381 with two doubles and three RBI in 12 Grapefruit League games. More importantly, he showed significant improvement in the field, the aspect of his game considered most suspect in the past.
Kimball, a hard-throwing reliever, wowed observers from his first bullpen session and then continued to impress in exhibition play. The 25-year-old allowed just one run in eight innings, striking out eight in the process.
Brown, acquired along with pitcher Henry Rodriguez from the Athletics in this winter's Josh Willingham trade, never got much of a chance toRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'
- Marlins sign Rafael Furcal, what are they up to?
- With Ellsbury & McCann, Yankees could be just getting started
- Report: Nats interested in lefty Scott Downs
- Market is thinning of left-handers
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal