Mar 20, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Tigers make a trip to Space Coast Stadium this afternoon.
Plenty worth watching today as the Nationals attempt to snap their six-game losing streak in a game against the Tigers that will be broadcast on MASN. Tom Gorzelanny takes the mound for his third start of the spring, hoping to erase any question about his standing as the club's No. 5 starter. Todd Coffey, Craig Stammen, Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard are all scheduled to pitch as well.
With Ryan Zimmerman still sidelined by a sore groin (he was due to take BP this morning) and both Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa getting the day off, the Nationals will get a chance to look at Jerry Hairston, Alex Cora and Alberto Gonzalez in the infield. We know Hairston is making the club, but there's a good chance Cora and Gonzalez are battling each other for one spot on the bench (with Brian Bixler possibly in the mix as well). At this point of the spring, each at-bat and chance in the field starts to take on more meaning for these guys trying to earn the final spots on the rosters.
I'm flying back down to Florida later this afternoon, fully refreshed and ready to roll again after this mid-camp break. Full coverage returns tomorrow morning from Jupiter, where the Nats will face the Cardinals…
TIGERS at NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV: MASN, MLB Network (tape delay, 11 p.m.)
Radio: WHFS (1580 AM), WFED (1500 AM)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 17 mph LF to RF
DH Nyjer Morgan
CF Rick Ankiel
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Good news for Nats' Carpenter, Span close to live BP
- Nats return home hoping to get back on track vs. D'Backs
- After sweep, Vegas sees Nats and Mets trending in different directions
- Postponement gives Nats new home finale
- The Baseball Show: Is NL East up for grabs?
- State of the Nats: All tied up in the NL East
- Former National slams door as New York sweeps Washington
- Nats look to avoid sweep against Mets in New York
- Ross continues to impress, but Mets showing their worth
- Duda, Cespedes too much for Nationals