Mar 21, 2011, 4:38 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez faces Chris Carpenter today at Roger Dean Stadium.
JUPITER, Fla. — Plenty going on here at Roger Dean Stadium, though obviously the biggest news of the day so far came from back in Viera, where Bryce Harper sprained his left ankle running to first base in a minor-league intrasquad game this morning. The Nationals are officially saying Harper is "day-to-day" for now, though there's really no way to know the severity of the injury until he undergoes X-rays. I'll be updating this story on CSNwashington.com all day as we find out more.
As for what's going on here in Jupiter … Jim Riggleman said Ryan Zimmerman (still dealing with a sore groin) will hopefully return to the lineup Thursday, though that's not a given yet. Zimmerman has taken swings in the cage but has yet to take grounders in the field.
As for the center field situation … all three contenders are here for today's game. Nyjer Morgan is in the lineup, but Rick Ankiel and Roger Bernadina should see playing time at some point. Riggleman said some of what happens over the next week will help determine who wins the job, but it's not going to be based entirely on the guys' performance to close out camp. There are other factors at play, obviously.
Livan Hernandez faces Chris Carpenter. Updates to come throughout…
NATIONALS at CARDINALS
Where: Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 19 mph in from RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Ian Desmond
RF Laynce Nix
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game