Mar 21, 2011, 4:38 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez faces Chris Carpenter today at Roger Dean Stadium.
JUPITER, Fla. — Plenty going on here at Roger Dean Stadium, though obviously the biggest news of the day so far came from back in Viera, where Bryce Harper sprained his left ankle running to first base in a minor-league intrasquad game this morning. The Nationals are officially saying Harper is "day-to-day" for now, though there's really no way to know the severity of the injury until he undergoes X-rays. I'll be updating this story on CSNwashington.com all day as we find out more.
As for what's going on here in Jupiter … Jim Riggleman said Ryan Zimmerman (still dealing with a sore groin) will hopefully return to the lineup Thursday, though that's not a given yet. Zimmerman has taken swings in the cage but has yet to take grounders in the field.
As for the center field situation … all three contenders are here for today's game. Nyjer Morgan is in the lineup, but Rick Ankiel and Roger Bernadina should see playing time at some point. Riggleman said some of what happens over the next week will help determine who wins the job, but it's not going to be based entirely on the guys' performance to close out camp. There are other factors at play, obviously.
Livan Hernandez faces Chris Carpenter. Updates to come throughout…
NATIONALS at CARDINALS
Where: Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 19 mph in from RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Ian Desmond
RF Laynce Nix
1B Adam LaRoche
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon