Mar 21, 2011, 2:25 PM EST
JUPITER, Fla. — Ah, it's never felt so good to type that dateline.
Yes, I'm back in Florida and will be with the Nationals through the rest of camp. There is plenty still to sort out over the final eight games of the spring, from the battle for center field, the muddled picture in the bullpen and a host of possibilities on the bench.
The center field situation, in particular, interests me. There are any number of ways this could play out. Nyjer Morgan could retain his job. Rick Ankiel could win the competition. Roger Bernadina could take it. Jerry Hairston could work his way into the mix as a right-handed member of a platoon. Morgan and Bernadina could wind up on the bench. Either or both could wind up in Syracuse. There are no shortage of endgames for this story.
The bullpen, meanwhile, doesn't look to be as stable a unit as we all thought it would be when camp opened. Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard each have ERAs over 11.00. Todd Coffey's ERA in 7.27. Henry Rodriguez has been all over the place in his three appearances. Elvin Ramirez has yet to appear in a game. Only the two lefties have performed well this spring, with Sean Burnett having yet to allow a run in 6 2/3 innings and Doug Slaten owning an 8-to-0 strikeout-to-walk ratio through seven appearances. Rule 5 draftee Brian Broderick (0.84 ERA in seven games) also has pitched well and is pushing to earn a spot as the long man.
As for the bench, there are all kinds of possibilities as well. Much of it depends on what happens in center field and whether or not the clubRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- NatsFest 2014 details announced with new venue
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB