Mar 22, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper suffered what the Nationals are terming a “medium sprain” of his left ankle yesterday, an injury that’s not considered serious but could prevent the top prospect from playing in Class A Hagerstown’s April 7 season opener.
Mike Rizzo said this morning it’s too soon to know a timetable for Harper’s return, but compared Harper’s sprain to the one suffered by Corey Brown (who was injured March 1 and had not appeared in another game when he was sent to minor-league camp 2 1/2 weeks later).
Meanwhile, Rizzo said the three-way competition between Nyjer Morgan, Rick Ankiel and Roger Bernadina for the starting center fielder’s job remains wide-open and probably won’t be decided until the final days of camp.
Rizzo did say it will be difficult to keep all three players on the Opening Day roster, suggesting that either Morgan or Bernadina (or perhaps both) will be sent to Class AAA Syracuse.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate