Mar 22, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper suffered what the Nationals are terming a “medium sprain” of his left ankle yesterday, an injury that’s not considered serious but could prevent the top prospect from playing in Class A Hagerstown’s April 7 season opener.
Mike Rizzo said this morning it’s too soon to know a timetable for Harper’s return, but compared Harper’s sprain to the one suffered by Corey Brown (who was injured March 1 and had not appeared in another game when he was sent to minor-league camp 2 1/2 weeks later).
Meanwhile, Rizzo said the three-way competition between Nyjer Morgan, Rick Ankiel and Roger Bernadina for the starting center fielder’s job remains wide-open and probably won’t be decided until the final days of camp.
Rizzo did say it will be difficult to keep all three players on the Opening Day roster, suggesting that either Morgan or Bernadina (or perhaps both) will be sent to Class AAA Syracuse.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win