Mar 22, 2011, 3:18 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez allowed two runs in five innings today.
JUPITER, Fla. — Boy, I sure picked the right day to return to Florida.
It turned out to be quite an eventful Monday in the Grapefruit League, beginning with Bryce Harper's sprained ankle and continuing through the bench-clearing incident between the Nationals and Cardinals at Roger Dean Stadium.
Let's run through all of the significant developments of the day…
BRYCE HARPER'S ANKLE
Looks like everything is going to be fine with Harper, who suffered a sprained left ankle trying to beat out a grounder to short during this morning's minor-league intrasquad game but avoided significant injury. X-rays were negative, and the team is saying Harper's status remains "day-to-day." I wouldn't be surprised if the Nats are cautious with their 18-year-old prospect, letting him rest for a while before throwing him back into the fold, though Harper clearly wants to get back on the field. As he posted on Twitter this evening: "Everybody thank you for all the kind words and thoughts about me getting better! I feel good and I expect to be out there asap!"
LIVAN HERNANDEZ'S COMMENTS
It was both surprising and refreshing to hear Livan Hernandez flatly acknowledge he intentionally threw at Cardinals center fielder ColbyRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How much will the Nationals miss LaRoche?
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats