Mar 23, 2011, 7:37 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals have signed former Mets left-hander Oliver Perez to a minor-league contract, a club source confirmed this afternoon.
Perez was released Monday by the Mets, who will pay his entire $12 million salary this season. If he reaches the majors, the Nationals would be responsible only for a pro-rated portion of the major-league minimum salary of $414,000.
He’ll report to minor-league camp to work with pitching coordinator Spin Williams, his former pitching coach in Pittsburgh.
Meanwhile, the Nationals claimed left-hander Lee Hyde off waivers from the Braves, adding minor-league relief help. Hyde, 26, went 4-6 with a 3.41 ERA and eight saves in 51 combined appearances between Class AA Mississippi and Class AAA Gwinnett last season. He’s been optioned to Class AAA Syracuse.
To make room for Hyde on the 40-man roster, the Nationals officially placed Stephen Strasburg on the 60-day DL.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies