Mar 23, 2011, 7:37 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals have signed former Mets left-hander Oliver Perez to a minor-league contract, a club source confirmed this afternoon.
Perez was released Monday by the Mets, who will pay his entire $12 million salary this season. If he reaches the majors, the Nationals would be responsible only for a pro-rated portion of the major-league minimum salary of $414,000.
He’ll report to minor-league camp to work with pitching coordinator Spin Williams, his former pitching coach in Pittsburgh.
Meanwhile, the Nationals claimed left-hander Lee Hyde off waivers from the Braves, adding minor-league relief help. Hyde, 26, went 4-6 with a 3.41 ERA and eight saves in 51 combined appearances between Class AA Mississippi and Class AAA Gwinnett last season. He’s been optioned to Class AAA Syracuse.
To make room for Hyde on the 40-man roster, the Nationals officially placed Stephen Strasburg on the 60-day DL.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Rivero build off strong rookie year?
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?