Mar 24, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT
Updated at 3:34 p.m.
Flores thus loses the battle for the No. 2 catching job behind Ivan Rodriguez, who will start Opening Day. Wilson Ramos will make the club and likely ease into a starting role at some point.
Flores, who missed nearly two years with a shoulder injury, said he wasn't disappointed with the news but hoped he might crack the roster.
"I knew it was going to be a really good challenge for me to make the team," he said. "Because both of those guys, one is a legend and the other one is a good, young kid with great talent. But at the same time, I trust myself, because I know what I have done in the past and I know what I can do in the present and future. I'm going to keep trusting myself, going down to the minors, doing what I have to do and make the team again."
Flores, 26, started 143 games for the Nationals between 2007-09 and was hitting .301 as the club's everyday catcher in May 2009 when he took a foul ball off his shoulder that ultimately turned into a tornRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats