Mar 25, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Adam LaRoche is being shut down from throwing at full velocity the next two or three days to rest the sore left shoulder that has bothered him since the start of spring training, but the Washington Nationals first baseman insists he has no worries about being ready to play in Thursday’s season opener.
“Not at all, no,” he said. “If it felt as bad as it did when I first got here to spring training, I would still play Opening Day. And it’s gotten a lot better since then. I don’t think it’s going to be 100 percent anytime soon, but hopefully I can get it up a little bit from what it is now.”
LaRoche, who said he’s never dealt with any kind of arm injury in his career, underwent an MRI on Wednesday, the results of which are not yet known. He’s hoping the injury is merely a pinched nerve, not something structural within his shoulder.
The veteran first baseman said the shoulder feels better now than it did when camp first began, and that he would play through this if the regular season had already begun.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury