Mar 25, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — It's been 11 days since Ryan Zimmerman last played, since a seemingly innocuous sore groin sidelined the Nationals' star third baseman.
Unless he fell out of bed this morning and re-injured himself, Zimmerman will be back in the Nationals' lineup, fully healthy and eager to get his swing back down before the season begins in a mere six days.
Actually, Zimmerman isn't worried at all about his readiness for the season. Some guys prefer to get as many at-bats as they can in spring training, like Adam LaRoche (a historically slow starter). Others prefer to get the minimum amount of work in March, knowing they'll still be ready come April.
"Basically the plan was, once it felt good, give it another week just to be extra careful," Zimmerman said. "It's not like I need a lot of at-bats anyway. I'll actually be kind of fresh going into the season, which will be kind of nice."
Zimmerman has played in only eight games so far this spring, going 6-for-22 with two homers and six RBI. He expects to play in four of the Nationals' final five Grapefruit League games.
Though he insisted he could have played had this been the regular season, Zimmerman took six days completely off from hitting andRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener