Mar 26, 2011, 2:05 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nyjer Morgan went 1-for-3 with an RBI tonight to raise his average to .241.
VIERA, Fla. — There were plenty of positives to come out of the Nationals' 3-2 victory over the Cardinals tonight. Tom Gorzelanny enjoyed his best outing of the spring, allowing two runs over six innings. Chad Gaudin pitched well in his first relief appearance. Drew Storen dominated through another 1-2-3 ninth, and Jim Riggleman said he'll likely open the season with Storen and Sean Burnett serving as his closing duo.
So at the end of the day, the Nationals got some positive answers about their No. 5 starter, their long reliever and their potential closer. All important developments on March 25.
Yet the biggest issue still swirling around this club six days before its season opener remains the identity of its Opening Day center fielder.
Publicly, the Nationals continue to insist it's a three-way competition between Nyjer Morgan, Rick Ankiel and Roger Bernadina. Privately, all signs point to Ankiel getting the nod. And since Mike Rizzo admittedRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels