Mar 26, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Despite a stiff neck, Livan Hernandez tossed four scoreless innings today.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Sometime earlier in the week, Livan Hernandez woke up with a stiff neck, a minor annoyance that didn't prevent him from making his final start of the spring today and certainly won't prevent him from making his Opening Day start Thursday in Washington.
"I feel very good," he said. "I'm ready to go to the season and Opening Day."
It would take a lot more than a stiff neck to keep Livo from taking the ball against the Braves at Nationals Park. This will be the ninth time he's started on Opening Day — amazingly, that ties him with Roy Halladay for tops among all active pitchers — but this one might be the most significant yet for the 36-year-old.
"I've got a couple on my shoulders already," he said. "But this one is special because I don't know if it's going to be the last one."
What's that? Livan Hernandez considering retirement?
Not so fast. Livo insists he's got four more good years in him, and he'd love for them all to come in a Nationals uniform. Whether they do or not, though, he knows he won't be getting the call on Opening Day anymore. Not with a certain flame-throwing phenom set to return fromRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent