Mar 26, 2011, 2:39 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals face the Astros at Osceola County Stadium.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — First of all, the news of the morning: There is no news. Or, I should say, there were no cuts made this morning. Everyone was accounted for at Space Coast Stadium before the team bus left for Kissimmee. The guys who didn't make the trip, including Nyjer Morgan, will play in a minor-league game today.
Just about everyone of consequence, though, did make the trip and will be playing here against the Astros. The only projected starters not in the lineup are Jayson Werth (who stayed back) and Adam LaRoche (who is nursing that sore shoulder).
Livan Hernandez gets the start, his final tune-up before Opening Day. In other rotation news, Ross Detwiler will start tomorrow against the Marlins, basically because the Nationals need someone to fill a gap to account for Friday's off-day in the middle of the season's first series against the Braves. John Lannan will start Monday against the Braves, with Jordan Zimmermann going Tuesday against the Mets. Which means the season-opening rotation should be set: Hernandez, Lannan, Zimmermann, Jason Marquis, Tom Gorzelanny. (UPDATE: Actually, Lannan will pitch in a minor-league game tomorrow so as to avoid facing a division opponent. The Nats will call up a minor-leaguer to make a spot start Monday.)
Plenty of updates to come, so check back throughout the afternoon…
NATIONALS at ASTROS
Where: Osceola County Stadium, Kissimmee
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM)
Weather: Sunny, 83 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to RF
SS Ian Desmond
RF Laynce Nix
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Matt Stairs
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall