Mar 27, 2011, 4:37 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats face the Marlins today at Space Coast Stadium.
VIERA, Fla. — It's perhaps appropriate (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it) that the Nationals are playing the Marlins on the day they traded Nyjer Morgan, considering the lasting memory for many of Morgan's tenure with the Nats will be his bench-clearing brawl in Florida last September.
But that's now old news, so let's move forward. Ian Desmond, who will hit leadoff on Opening Day, is in the top spot in the lineup today. It's not entirely the Opening Day lineup, because Adam LaRoche is still resting his sore shoulder (he's scheduled to return tomorrow). Also, Wilson Ramos is behind the plate. (Ivan Rodriguez will be there Thursday.)
Ross Detwiler gets one last chance to pitch in a big-league game this spring before getting optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. The Nationals didn't want John Lannan to face a division rival this close to the start the year, so Lannan is throwing in a minor-league game today. In other rotation news, minor-leaguer Tom Milone will get to start tomorrow against the Braves, spacing things out so Jordan Zimmermann can get on a proper schedule and start Tuesday's Grapefruit League finale.
Updates to come…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM)
Weather: Mostly sunny, 86 degrees, Wind 14 mph RF to LF
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
CF Rick Ankiel
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'