Mar 28, 2011, 5:23 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — First, some weather news: Tonight’s game against the Braves in Lake Buena Vista has been canceled due to rain. Honestly, there aren’t a whole lot of disappointed people here in Viera. Nobody wanted to drive an hour to Disney, then sit around through a rain delay, then return to Viera for tomorrow’s 12:05 p.m. exhibition finale.
Meanwhile, the Nationals have begun the final trimming of their roster down to the 25 who will suit up for Thursday’s opener.
Left-hander Ross Detwiler has been optioned to Class AAA Syracuse, and infielder Brian Bixler has been re-assigned to minor-league camp. Neither move is a surprise, and Detwiler spoke yesterday after starting against the Marlins as though he knew he was about to get sent down.
Those two moves reduce the roster to 31. Chien-Ming Wang, Henry Rodriguez and Elvin Ramirez are almost certainly headed to the DL, so that drops it down to 28.
So, basically there are four jobs still up for grabs, with seven players in the mix:
– The final reliever: Brian Broderick or Collin Balester.
– Backup infielder: Alex Cora or Alberto Gonzalez
– Two backup outfielders: Matt Stairs, Laynce Nix and Roger Bernadina.
Should find out more shortly, so check back.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership
- Harper on Nats signing Scherzer: 'Where's my ring?'
- Report: Ichiro happy to be away from Yankees' manager Girardi
- Full roster has reported, but Werth still rehabbing
- Wilson Ramos talks Nats' stacked rotation, personal goals
- After whirlwind debut, Treinen finds comfort zone
- Desmond arrives in Viera, now what about his future with Nats?