Mar 28, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Washington Nationals have traded infielder Alberto Gonzalez to the San Diego Padres for minor-league pitcher Erik Davis and cash, a move that finalizes the club’s Opening Day roster.
The trade of Gonzalez leaves the Nationals’ spring roster at 25 and means veteran Alex Cora has made the club as a reserve infielder.
General manager Mike Rizzo had received interest from several teams in Gonzalez, who hit .377 this spring while playing all four infield positions. Because the 26-year-old was out of options, the Nationals couldn’t have sent him to the minors without first exposing him to waivers.
Club officials had already decided they wanted to keep Cora, a 13-year veteran who hit only .210 last season with the New York Mets and Texas Rangers but hit .359 this spring and took on a leadership role in the clubhouse.
Davis, 24, went 14-3 with a 3.52 ERA and 133 strikeouts in 27 combined starts last season between the Padres’ Class A, AA and AAA affiliates. He was San Diego’s 13th round pick in the 2008 draft out of Stanford, where he was a teammate of Nationals reliever Drew Storen.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game