Mar 28, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Washington Nationals have traded infielder Alberto Gonzalez to the San Diego Padres for minor-league pitcher Erik Davis and cash, a move that finalizes the club’s Opening Day roster.
The trade of Gonzalez leaves the Nationals’ spring roster at 25 and means veteran Alex Cora has made the club as a reserve infielder.
General manager Mike Rizzo had received interest from several teams in Gonzalez, who hit .377 this spring while playing all four infield positions. Because the 26-year-old was out of options, the Nationals couldn’t have sent him to the minors without first exposing him to waivers.
Club officials had already decided they wanted to keep Cora, a 13-year veteran who hit only .210 last season with the New York Mets and Texas Rangers but hit .359 this spring and took on a leadership role in the clubhouse.
Davis, 24, went 14-3 with a 3.52 ERA and 133 strikeouts in 27 combined starts last season between the Padres’ Class A, AA and AAA affiliates. He was San Diego’s 13th round pick in the 2008 draft out of Stanford, where he was a teammate of Nationals reliever Drew Storen.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Phillies, 7:15 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- X-rays negative on Desmond's hand after shortstop left game
- Instant Analysis: Orioles 4, Nats 3
- Do the Nationals have a pitching ace? (VIDEO)
- Who is the most underrated Nationals player? (VIDEO)
- Williams tries to keep Nats bench fresh; more on Harper, Rendon
- Nationals at the break: Who's been MVP, biggest surprise?
- Gio, Nationals look for series win over Orioles and win No. 50
- Doug Fister battles way to win over Baltimore
- Healthy Nationals get a healthy win (VIDEO)
- Even when he looks shaky, Nationals trust Fister (VIDEO)