Mar 30, 2011, 2:32 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jim Riggleman enters the final year of his contract with expectations raised.
While it’s certainly good to be home again, I have to say: This weather is pretty depressing. I mean, it was 85 degrees in Viera yesterday when I left Space Coast Stadium. It’s 45 degrees here in the D.C. area, and the rain is coming.
The forecast for the next two days does not look good. Seventy percent chance of rain this afternoon and evening during NatsFest. Eighty percent chance of rain tomorrow afternoon during the scheduled opener against the Braves. (If you’re wondering, Friday’s forecast is much better, which temperatures climbing into the 50s and sunshine replacing the gray clouds. If tomorrow’s game is postponed, it would almost certainly be made up at 1:05 p.m. Friday.)
For now, though, let’s remain optimistic and assume everything gets played as planned. Speaking of optimism, you’ll want to make sure you read the complete Opening Day preview package we put together at CSNwashington.com. It includes a Q&A in which I answer all your pressing questions about the Nats (and even make a couple of predictions). I also suggest the six home series you won’t want to miss this season. And you can read my NL East preview, with predicted standings.
One final programming note before I start bundling up to head to Nationals Park for today’s RainFest: ESPN 980 AM will be broadcasting live from The Bullpen bar outside the center field gate tomorrow from 10 a.m. through 2 p.m. Barring a last-minute change of schedule, I’ll be out there from 11 a.m. through about 12:30 p.m. Please stop by and say hello on your way into the ballpark.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator