Mar 30, 2011, 9:41 PM EST
Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper stood inside the spacious and luxurious clubhouse at Nationals Park, feeling for one day at least like they were part of the team that will take the field Thursday afternoon against the Atlanta Braves.
By the time each Nationals player is introduced to the sellout crowd and assembles along the first-base line to stand for the national anthem, though, Strasburg and Harper will be long gone. Due to fly back to Viera, Fla., on Thursday, the two most recognizable players in the Nationals’ organization are about to disappear for a while.
“It’s going to be tough going back to Florida,” Strasburg said. “That’s for sure.”
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust