Apr 1, 2011, 2:58 PM EDT
Photo by Bob Youngentob / CSNwashington.com
Jayson Werth’s patience at the plate has rubbed off on his new teammates.
Most of the positives that have been outlined from the Nationals’ 2-0 Opening Day loss to the Braves have centered around the club’s solid pitching and defensive performance. It’s difficult to find positives out of an offensive performance that included five hits, none of them with runners in scoring position, right?
Not so fast. The Nationals’ lineup may have lagged behind the rest of the club during yesterday’s loss, but it did offer a glimpse of something positive fans should become accustomed to this season: its ability to make opposing pitchers work.
Though Braves starter Derek Lowe dominated in earning the victory, the Nationals’ ability to work the count and wear down the veteran right-hander forced Atlanta manager Fredi Gonzalez to pull him after only 5 2/3 innings.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win