Apr 2, 2011, 11:58 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Rick Ankiel drops a perfect squeeze bunt in the seventh inning.
Maybe it’s a good thing the Nationals don’t have that silver Elvis wig lying around the clubhouse anymore, the one that would always go to whomever was deemed player of the game after a win last season. They would have had a difficult time figuring out who most deserved to wear the thing following today’s 6-3 victory over the Braves.
The obvious choice would be Rick Ankiel, who both clubbed a two-run homer and dropped a perfect squeeze bunt. But Jayson Werth and Ryan Zimmerman certainly each played a role, reaching base four times a piece. So did John Lannan, coming back after a 55-minute rain delay to toss a 1-2-3 fifth inning and help bridge the gap to the bullpen.
Don’t forget about Tyler Clippard, who for the second time already this season entered in a tight spot and wriggled his way out of a jam. And then there’s Sean Burnett, summoned to record a four-out save and finish off the Nationals’ first victory of the young season.
In the end, maybe the real credit goes to manager Jim Riggleman, who deftly worked his way through a long and complicated ballgame, pulling all the strings and levers necessary to secure this win over a Braves team many have picked to win the NL East.
“It’s a great ballclub they put out over there,” Riggleman said. “We just really feel good the way we’ve played with them.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair