Apr 2, 2011, 5:24 PM EST
The Nationals, as has been expected since the end of last season, are transitioning Wilson Ramos into a starting role behind the plate. Ramos is starting today against the Braves, and manager Jim Riggleman said the rookie will share the job with Ivan Rodriguez 50-50 for the immediate future, with neither designated as the No. 1 catcher.
“I think we literally kind of have two No. 1’s there,” Riggleman said before today’s game against the Braves. “Right now, I think we’re going to move towards that.”
Over time, the Nationals hope Ramos ascends to the leading role, a scenario that would force Rodriguez to the bench more regularly and could create a sticky situation for the club and one of the greatest catchers in baseball history.
Riggleman, though, made a preemptive move in talking to Rodriguez Friday, a meeting the manager called “one of the best conversations I’ve ever had with a ballplayer since I’ve been managing.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera