Apr 2, 2011, 5:24 PM EDT
The Nationals, as has been expected since the end of last season, are transitioning Wilson Ramos into a starting role behind the plate. Ramos is starting today against the Braves, and manager Jim Riggleman said the rookie will share the job with Ivan Rodriguez 50-50 for the immediate future, with neither designated as the No. 1 catcher.
“I think we literally kind of have two No. 1’s there,” Riggleman said before today’s game against the Braves. “Right now, I think we’re going to move towards that.”
Over time, the Nationals hope Ramos ascends to the leading role, a scenario that would force Rodriguez to the bench more regularly and could create a sticky situation for the club and one of the greatest catchers in baseball history.
Riggleman, though, made a preemptive move in talking to Rodriguez Friday, a meeting the manager called “one of the best conversations I’ve ever had with a ballplayer since I’ve been managing.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?