Apr 3, 2011, 3:20 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann face Tim Hudson in the rubber match of this series.
Few pitchers in baseball have owned the Nationals over the years like Tim Hudson, who enters today's game with a 10-2 record and 1.91 ERA in 18 career starts against this franchise. There's something about the way the Braves' veteran right-hander mixes up his pitches that has always fooled members of the Nationals lineup.
Ah, but that was before Jayson Werth, Rick Ankiel, Laynce Nix and Matt Stairs joined the club. Check out those newcomers' lifetime numbers against Hudson: Werth (7-for-20, HR, 6 RBI), Ankiel (3-for-6, RBI), Nix (6-for-14, 2B, RBI), Stairs (5-for-6, 2 2B). Perhaps the tide is about to turn in this previously lopsided match-up.
Jordan Zimmermann makes his season debut for the Nationals, coming off a fantastic spring in which he was scored upon in only four of his six Grapefruit League starts. Scouts and opposing teams raved about the right-hander's stuff this spring. Now we'll see if it translates into the regular season.
It's a gorgeous (if a bit chilly) day on South Capitol Street. Updates to come all afternoon, so check back often…
BRAVES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: MASN, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM)
Weather: Mostly sunny, 55 degrees, Wind 11 mph LF to RF
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hit the road to face Braves
- Zimmerman passes first test at first base
- Rendon reflects on first full pro season
- Giants lose Hunter Pence to significant injury
- Scherzer "happy" with first start of spring
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back