Apr 3, 2011, 10:27 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa had a rough day in the field, but he wasn’t alone.
The Nationals have lost plenty of games like this over the years, lopsided defeats that really turn ugly late and leave fans either booing or streaming for the exits. It would be easy to look at today’s 11-2 thrashing at the hands of the Braves, shake your head and mutter: “Same old Nats.”
There was, however, one aspect of this beatdown that bore very little resemblance to the beatdowns the Nationals have taken in previous years. They didn’t have to wait for someone to speak up and tell them this performance was unacceptable.
“That’s the good thing about this club: Nobody has to,” Ryan Zimmerman said. “We all know. In years past, I think that might not have been the case. But I think this year we realize we can’t do that in any game in this division, or you’re gonna get your ass beat.”
That’s not the kind of quote Nationals fans are accustomed to hearing come out of Zimmerman’s mouth. The face of the franchise has always talked about being a clubhouse leader, but his criticism has usually been muted.
Perhaps after six years of losing, Zimmerman has simply had enough. Perhaps he doesn’t want his new teammates — professionals like Jayson Werth, Adam LaRoche, Rick Ankiel and others who have played on winning clubs — to think this kind of sloppy performance gets shrugged off in D.C.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals