Apr 4, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann pitched well yesterday but was pulled after six innings.
There are a handful of things the Nationals could point to as potential problem areas following their first series of the year. The lineup has produced a total of eight runs in three games and is a collective 3-for-25 with runners in scoring position. The bullpen, which imploded during yesterday's 11-2 loss to the Braves, sports an 8.38 ERA. And Sunday's sloppy defensive effort elicited strong words from manager Jim Riggleman and third baseman Ryan Zimmerman.
Three games in, though, the one thing the Nationals haven't had any reason to worry about is the one thing everyone thought they would need to worry about this season: the starting rotation.
Livan Hernandez, John Lannan and Jordan Zimmermann have combined to post a 2.60 ERA so far, none having allowed more than two earned runs in his season debut.
And those numbers might look even better had Riggleman given his starters a bit more rope and let them pitch deeper into their respective games. Hernandez was pulled with one out in the seventh on Opening Day, despite a pitch count of only 77. Lannan was pulled after only five innings and 68 pitches on Saturday. And Zimmermann departed afterRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard