Apr 4, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann pitched well yesterday but was pulled after six innings.
There are a handful of things the Nationals could point to as potential problem areas following their first series of the year. The lineup has produced a total of eight runs in three games and is a collective 3-for-25 with runners in scoring position. The bullpen, which imploded during yesterday's 11-2 loss to the Braves, sports an 8.38 ERA. And Sunday's sloppy defensive effort elicited strong words from manager Jim Riggleman and third baseman Ryan Zimmerman.
Three games in, though, the one thing the Nationals haven't had any reason to worry about is the one thing everyone thought they would need to worry about this season: the starting rotation.
Livan Hernandez, John Lannan and Jordan Zimmermann have combined to post a 2.60 ERA so far, none having allowed more than two earned runs in his season debut.
And those numbers might look even better had Riggleman given his starters a bit more rope and let them pitch deeper into their respective games. Hernandez was pulled with one out in the seventh on Opening Day, despite a pitch count of only 77. Lannan was pulled after only five innings and 68 pitches on Saturday. And Zimmermann departed afterRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup