Apr 5, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
MIAMI — Ian Desmond is out of the Nationals’ lineup tonight, not so much because of his 0-for-13 start to the season but because manager Jim Riggleman wanted to make sure some of his reserves didn’t go ice cold sitting on the bench.
When Desmond returns to the lineup tomorrow, though, he won’t be back in the leadoff role. After struggling in that top spot through the season’s first three games, he’s getting bumped down to the 7-hole, swapping spots with rookie second baseman Danny Espinosa.
How Riggleman decides to arrange his lineup after that depends on how each young infielder responds at the plate.
“We’re just going to see how it plays out,” the manager said. “Whichever one is getting the job [done], he’ll hit first and the other will hit seventh.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Mets trade for another All-Star
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL