Apr 5, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
MIAMI — Ian Desmond is out of the Nationals’ lineup tonight, not so much because of his 0-for-13 start to the season but because manager Jim Riggleman wanted to make sure some of his reserves didn’t go ice cold sitting on the bench.
When Desmond returns to the lineup tomorrow, though, he won’t be back in the leadoff role. After struggling in that top spot through the season’s first three games, he’s getting bumped down to the 7-hole, swapping spots with rookie second baseman Danny Espinosa.
How Riggleman decides to arrange his lineup after that depends on how each young infielder responds at the plate.
“We’re just going to see how it plays out,” the manager said. “Whichever one is getting the job [done], he’ll hit first and the other will hit seventh.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again