Apr 6, 2011, 4:48 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth’s error after calling off Danny Espinosa led to the Marlins’ winning run.
MIAMI — The ball came off Omar Infante’s bat and went high into the South Florida night, a big-league pop-up that Danny Espinosa needed only to back up five or six steps from his second-base position to camp underneath.
And then Espinosa heard Jayson Werth charging in from right field, calling him off.
“I wasn’t totally sure that Espi was going to get it,” Werth explained. “So I called it.”
Werth was probably the only one inside Sun Life Stadium who didn’t realize Espinosa had the play made with ease. He was at most 10 feet behind the infield dirt. Werth had absolutely no business barging in.
And by night’s end, after he had dropped the ball and set in motion the chain of events that gave the Florida Marlins a 3-2, 10-inning victory over the Washington Nationals, Werth knew he alone was to blame.
“That cost us the game,” he said. “Tough spot. Obviously, I take total responsibility for that one.”
Werth’s inexplicable gaffe may have been the leading cause of this punch-to-the-gut loss, but it was hardly the only mistake made over the course of three hours and 30 minutes.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)