Apr 6, 2011, 4:48 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth’s error after calling off Danny Espinosa led to the Marlins’ winning run.
MIAMI — The ball came off Omar Infante’s bat and went high into the South Florida night, a big-league pop-up that Danny Espinosa needed only to back up five or six steps from his second-base position to camp underneath.
And then Espinosa heard Jayson Werth charging in from right field, calling him off.
“I wasn’t totally sure that Espi was going to get it,” Werth explained. “So I called it.”
Werth was probably the only one inside Sun Life Stadium who didn’t realize Espinosa had the play made with ease. He was at most 10 feet behind the infield dirt. Werth had absolutely no business barging in.
And by night’s end, after he had dropped the ball and set in motion the chain of events that gave the Florida Marlins a 3-2, 10-inning victory over the Washington Nationals, Werth knew he alone was to blame.
“That cost us the game,” he said. “Tough spot. Obviously, I take total responsibility for that one.”
Werth’s inexplicable gaffe may have been the leading cause of this punch-to-the-gut loss, but it was hardly the only mistake made over the course of three hours and 30 minutes.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?