Apr 6, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jason Marquis authored the latest strong outing by a Nationals starter last night.
MIAMI — So, after yet another excruciating loss to the Marlins — doesn't it seem like every loss to the Marlins is an excruciating one? — the Nationals find themselves sporting a 1-3 record this morning, sitting all alone at the bottom of the NL East standings.
It's a disappointing start to the season, to be sure, but it's even more frustrating because they've gotten superb work out of their rotation so far. Four games in, Nationals starters own a combined 2.66 ERA, having issued a total of only four walks in 23 2/3 innings. Livan Hernandez, Jordan Zimmermann and Jason Marquis each got credited with quality starts, and John Lannan probably would have gotten one himself if not for Saturday's rain delay.
"I look at the glass as half-full," manager Jim Riggleman said after last night's 3-2, 10-inning loss. "I'm encouraged by those starts that we've gotten. … You take the rain out of the situation, and really we've had four games where we've gone at least six. That's important."
It is important, because it's difficult to believe a team that gets six or more innings out of its starting pitcher every night is going to lose 75 percent of the time. Come to think of it, it's pretty much impossible for any ballclub to lose 75 percent of its games over a full season, even ifRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper scratched from tonight's game
- Nats put Strasburg on the disabled list
- Nats need quality start from Gonzalez in Cincy
- Cingrani has little remorse for hitting Harper
- Strasburg departs in 2nd inning with new ailment
- Strasburg leaves after 16 pitches, Reds beat Nationals 5-2
- Rendon resumes rehab, plays 7 innings at AA
- Strasburg back on mound for key start in Cincy
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news