Apr 6, 2011, 10:27 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth has only two at-bats with runners in scoring position so far.
MIAMI — Jim Riggleman intended to swap Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa in his lineup for tonight’s game, moving Espinosa into the leadoff spot and sliding the slumping Desmond down to the 7-hole.
On second thought, though, the Nationals managed decided to keep things as they were for the this game against the Marlins. Desmond, despite his 0-for-13 start to the year, remained at the top of the lineup.
“As I thought about it coming in today, I thought: ‘You know, I’m just going to stick with it the way it is and let it ride out,'” Riggleman said. “I talked to a couple coaches about it. They all felt the same way. They’d all rather see Desi there.”
Riggleman left open the possibility of a change at some point, but really the manager doesn’t have many viable alternatives to lead off. Jerry Hairston got the nod last night and went 0-for-4, though he did draw a walk in the eighth inning (the first time in 18 plate appearances this season a Nationals leadoff man reached base). And Espinosa, though he has some experience leading off in the minor leagues, hasn’t shown team officials he’s up to the challenge.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city