Apr 6, 2011, 10:27 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth has only two at-bats with runners in scoring position so far.
MIAMI — Jim Riggleman intended to swap Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa in his lineup for tonight’s game, moving Espinosa into the leadoff spot and sliding the slumping Desmond down to the 7-hole.
On second thought, though, the Nationals managed decided to keep things as they were for the this game against the Marlins. Desmond, despite his 0-for-13 start to the year, remained at the top of the lineup.
“As I thought about it coming in today, I thought: ‘You know, I’m just going to stick with it the way it is and let it ride out,'” Riggleman said. “I talked to a couple coaches about it. They all felt the same way. They’d all rather see Desi there.”
Riggleman left open the possibility of a change at some point, but really the manager doesn’t have many viable alternatives to lead off. Jerry Hairston got the nod last night and went 0-for-4, though he did draw a walk in the eighth inning (the first time in 18 plate appearances this season a Nationals leadoff man reached base). And Espinosa, though he has some experience leading off in the minor leagues, hasn’t shown team officials he’s up to the challenge.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day