Apr 6, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth has only two at-bats with runners in scoring position so far.
MIAMI — Jim Riggleman intended to swap Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa in his lineup for tonight’s game, moving Espinosa into the leadoff spot and sliding the slumping Desmond down to the 7-hole.
On second thought, though, the Nationals managed decided to keep things as they were for the this game against the Marlins. Desmond, despite his 0-for-13 start to the year, remained at the top of the lineup.
“As I thought about it coming in today, I thought: ‘You know, I’m just going to stick with it the way it is and let it ride out,'” Riggleman said. “I talked to a couple coaches about it. They all felt the same way. They’d all rather see Desi there.”
Riggleman left open the possibility of a change at some point, but really the manager doesn’t have many viable alternatives to lead off. Jerry Hairston got the nod last night and went 0-for-4, though he did draw a walk in the eighth inning (the first time in 18 plate appearances this season a Nationals leadoff man reached base). And Espinosa, though he has some experience leading off in the minor leagues, hasn’t shown team officials he’s up to the challenge.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)