Apr 7, 2011, 10:26 PM EDT
MIAMI — The Nationals know they need to get better performances from members of their bullpen not named Sean Burnett, Drew Storen or Tyler Clippard. They just don’t know who among the rest of the group is most likely to do it.
While their top three relievers have pitched well through the season’s first week, collectively posting an 0.93 ERA entering tonight’s game against the Marlins, the Nationals’ four other bullpen members are sporting a 15.63 ERA.
Left-hander Doug Slaten and right-handers Todd Coffey, Chad Gaudin and Brian Broderick have all struggled so far in 2011, to the point where Jim Riggleman isn’t always comfortable using them in close games. Eventually, though, the manager knows someone from that group is going to have to step up when called upon.
“It’s not like they’re not a challenge for hitters,” Riggleman said. “They’ve got good arms. They’ve got good stuff.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?