Apr 7, 2011, 2:47 PM EST
MIAMI — If Jim Riggleman stays true to form, Wilson Ramos will be behind the plate for tonight's series finale (with the Nationals needing to beat ace Josh Johnson to avoid another sweep at the hands of the Marlins). But if Riggleman stays true to form, Ivan Rodriguez will be back in the lineup tomorrow afternoon at Citi Field, regardless of what Ramos does tonight.
It's been the manager's intention all along to have his two catchers split the job 50-50 through the season's first couple of weeks, knowing at some point Ramos would likely ascend to the No. 1 role.
Problem is, Riggleman may need to consider making that transition even sooner than he expected, because Rodriguez is seriously hurting the Nationals at the plate right now.
With an 0-for-4 showing last night, Pudge remains hitless for the season in 10 overall at-bats. Yes, he did reach twice (on a fielder's choice and an error) but each came on weakly struck groundballs toRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B