Apr 8, 2011, 4:26 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche is congratulated by Ryan Zimmerman following his 11th-inning homer.
MIAMI — Adam LaRoche has experienced slow starts in his career. In his first five big-league seasons, he never finished April with a batting average higher than .214. In 2007 with the Pirates, he was hitting .133 on May 1.
Somehow, the veteran first baseman has always found a way to overcome those early struggles and put up good numbers by season’s end. So when he looked up at the scoreboard in the top of the 11th tonight and saw a .130 average next to his name, he wasn’t the least bit concerned.
“In the past I’ve gotten off slow, especially early on in my career, and pressed a little and let it snowball,” he said. “The last couple years, I’ve gotten past that.”
LaRoche’s average may still sit at a paltry .167 six games into his Nationals career. But he knows he’s already done plenty to contribute to a victory for his new team, his two-run blast off Edward Mujica having given the Nationals a much-needed, 5-3 win over the Marlins.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop