Apr 8, 2011, 4:26 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche is congratulated by Ryan Zimmerman following his 11th-inning homer.
MIAMI — Adam LaRoche has experienced slow starts in his career. In his first five big-league seasons, he never finished April with a batting average higher than .214. In 2007 with the Pirates, he was hitting .133 on May 1.
Somehow, the veteran first baseman has always found a way to overcome those early struggles and put up good numbers by season’s end. So when he looked up at the scoreboard in the top of the 11th tonight and saw a .130 average next to his name, he wasn’t the least bit concerned.
“In the past I’ve gotten off slow, especially early on in my career, and pressed a little and let it snowball,” he said. “The last couple years, I’ve gotten past that.”
LaRoche’s average may still sit at a paltry .167 six games into his Nationals career. But he knows he’s already done plenty to contribute to a victory for his new team, his two-run blast off Edward Mujica having given the Nationals a much-needed, 5-3 win over the Marlins.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview