Apr 8, 2011, 4:26 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche is congratulated by Ryan Zimmerman following his 11th-inning homer.
MIAMI — Adam LaRoche has experienced slow starts in his career. In his first five big-league seasons, he never finished April with a batting average higher than .214. In 2007 with the Pirates, he was hitting .133 on May 1.
Somehow, the veteran first baseman has always found a way to overcome those early struggles and put up good numbers by season’s end. So when he looked up at the scoreboard in the top of the 11th tonight and saw a .130 average next to his name, he wasn’t the least bit concerned.
“In the past I’ve gotten off slow, especially early on in my career, and pressed a little and let it snowball,” he said. “The last couple years, I’ve gotten past that.”
LaRoche’s average may still sit at a paltry .167 six games into his Nationals career. But he knows he’s already done plenty to contribute to a victory for his new team, his two-run blast off Edward Mujica having given the Nationals a much-needed, 5-3 win over the Marlins.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back