Apr 9, 2011, 1:44 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Ivan Rodriguez contributed to today’s win both behind and at the plate.
NEW YORK — Ivan Rodriguez’s opportunities to make meaningful contributions to the Nationals are waning. He won’t say that, but you get the sense the 39-year-old catcher understands the situation. The Nationals want to start transitioning rookie Wilson Ramos into a leading role, which means Rodriguez is about to be phased out.
That doesn’t mean Pudge can’t still contribute in some manner to the Nationals’ success and development. Indeed, he played a significant role in today’s 6-2 victory over the Mets, both at and behind the plate.
With a two-run single in the eighth inning, Rodriguez gave his team some breathing room after most of the evening had been a nip-and-tuck affair. And with his deft game-calling abilities, he guided starter Jordan Zimmermann and five relievers through an impressive performance.
Was Pudge the star of this game? No. Zimmermann, who allowed two runs over 5 1/3 innings and also delivered a clutch, two-run single, had the biggest impact on the outcome of this one. So did relievers Doug Slaten, Chad Gaudin and Tyler Clippard, who collectively escaped delicate jams in the sixth and seventh innings when Washington led only 3-2.
But Rodriguez was right there with all those pitchers, helping them navigate their way through it all.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?