Apr 9, 2011, 1:44 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ivan Rodriguez contributed to today’s win both behind and at the plate.
NEW YORK — Ivan Rodriguez’s opportunities to make meaningful contributions to the Nationals are waning. He won’t say that, but you get the sense the 39-year-old catcher understands the situation. The Nationals want to start transitioning rookie Wilson Ramos into a leading role, which means Rodriguez is about to be phased out.
That doesn’t mean Pudge can’t still contribute in some manner to the Nationals’ success and development. Indeed, he played a significant role in today’s 6-2 victory over the Mets, both at and behind the plate.
With a two-run single in the eighth inning, Rodriguez gave his team some breathing room after most of the evening had been a nip-and-tuck affair. And with his deft game-calling abilities, he guided starter Jordan Zimmermann and five relievers through an impressive performance.
Was Pudge the star of this game? No. Zimmermann, who allowed two runs over 5 1/3 innings and also delivered a clutch, two-run single, had the biggest impact on the outcome of this one. So did relievers Doug Slaten, Chad Gaudin and Tyler Clippard, who collectively escaped delicate jams in the sixth and seventh innings when Washington led only 3-2.
But Rodriguez was right there with all those pitchers, helping them navigate their way through it all.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager