Apr 9, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann allowed two runs over 5 1/3 innings during yesterday's win.
NEW YORK — The focus of my game analysis last night was on Ivan Rodriguez because, well, I thought the veteran catcher had both an interesting impact on the Nationals' 6-2 win and had some interesting things to say afterward. In doing so, I kind of glossed over Jordan Zimmermann, whose performance was as important as anyone's in that game.
So let's give Zimmermann some credit here for his 5 1/3 innings of two-run ball. The right-hander was downright dominant early on, striking out four of the first seven Mets he faced. He didn't issue one walk, becoming the third Nationals starter in seven games this season to do that. And though he started to show signs of fading late, he was strong enough to throw 99 pitches (the most by any Nats starter so far this year and his most since his final start in 2009 before Tommy John surgery).
The fact Jim Riggleman let him return to the mound to start the sixth inning (even though he was only going to face two hitters no matter what) wasn't lost on Zimmermann. "It's a big confidence builder," he said. "He's got trust in me."
Riggleman, in turn, had glowing things to say about Zimmermann: "Very composed. Nothing seems to bother him. He just makes pitches. They've got a good lineup, and they put pressure on him. But he madeRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night