Apr 9, 2011, 2:44 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann allowed two runs over 5 1/3 innings during yesterday's win.
NEW YORK — The focus of my game analysis last night was on Ivan Rodriguez because, well, I thought the veteran catcher had both an interesting impact on the Nationals' 6-2 win and had some interesting things to say afterward. In doing so, I kind of glossed over Jordan Zimmermann, whose performance was as important as anyone's in that game.
So let's give Zimmermann some credit here for his 5 1/3 innings of two-run ball. The right-hander was downright dominant early on, striking out four of the first seven Mets he faced. He didn't issue one walk, becoming the third Nationals starter in seven games this season to do that. And though he started to show signs of fading late, he was strong enough to throw 99 pitches (the most by any Nats starter so far this year and his most since his final start in 2009 before Tommy John surgery).
The fact Jim Riggleman let him return to the mound to start the sixth inning (even though he was only going to face two hitters no matter what) wasn't lost on Zimmermann. "It's a big confidence builder," he said. "He's got trust in me."
Riggleman, in turn, had glowing things to say about Zimmermann: "Very composed. Nothing seems to bother him. He just makes pitches. They've got a good lineup, and they put pressure on him. But he madeRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres