Apr 9, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann allowed two runs over 5 1/3 innings during yesterday's win.
NEW YORK — The focus of my game analysis last night was on Ivan Rodriguez because, well, I thought the veteran catcher had both an interesting impact on the Nationals' 6-2 win and had some interesting things to say afterward. In doing so, I kind of glossed over Jordan Zimmermann, whose performance was as important as anyone's in that game.
So let's give Zimmermann some credit here for his 5 1/3 innings of two-run ball. The right-hander was downright dominant early on, striking out four of the first seven Mets he faced. He didn't issue one walk, becoming the third Nationals starter in seven games this season to do that. And though he started to show signs of fading late, he was strong enough to throw 99 pitches (the most by any Nats starter so far this year and his most since his final start in 2009 before Tommy John surgery).
The fact Jim Riggleman let him return to the mound to start the sixth inning (even though he was only going to face two hitters no matter what) wasn't lost on Zimmermann. "It's a big confidence builder," he said. "He's got trust in me."
Riggleman, in turn, had glowing things to say about Zimmermann: "Very composed. Nothing seems to bother him. He just makes pitches. They've got a good lineup, and they put pressure on him. But he madeRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats cut two more, reducing healthy roster to 27
- Is this a preview of Nats' Opening Day lineup?
- Rendon will begin season on DL with sprained MCL
- Frandsen released, Gwynn Jr. sent to minors
- Johnson, den Dekker adjust quickly to Nats
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee