Apr 10, 2011, 4:34 PM EDT
Updated at 5:41 p.m.
NEW YORK — Ryan Zimmerman was held out of the Nationals’ lineup for today’s series finale against the Mets after aggravating a prior abdominal strain sliding into second base the previous night.
The Nationals are hopeful two days of rest and treatment will be enough to allow Zimmerman to return, though they won’t know about his availability for this week’s homestand until Tuesday.
This is the same injury that sidelined Zimmerman for three games early in spring training — he also missed time late in camp with a separate groin strain — and the third baseman has been experiencing some discomfort since Opening Day.
“When I slid into second last night, I hurt it a little more,” Zimmerman said. “It’s one of those things where we’ll see how it feels. … It feels bad enough not to play today. So worse than it was [during spring training], but it’s not terrible. So we’ll see.”
Read more (including Adam LaRoche update)
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice