Apr 10, 2011, 4:34 PM EDT
Updated at 5:41 p.m.
NEW YORK — Ryan Zimmerman was held out of the Nationals’ lineup for today’s series finale against the Mets after aggravating a prior abdominal strain sliding into second base the previous night.
The Nationals are hopeful two days of rest and treatment will be enough to allow Zimmerman to return, though they won’t know about his availability for this week’s homestand until Tuesday.
This is the same injury that sidelined Zimmerman for three games early in spring training — he also missed time late in camp with a separate groin strain — and the third baseman has been experiencing some discomfort since Opening Day.
“When I slid into second last night, I hurt it a little more,” Zimmerman said. “It’s one of those things where we’ll see how it feels. … It feels bad enough not to play today. So worse than it was [during spring training], but it’s not terrible. So we’ll see.”
Read more (including Adam LaRoche update)
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles