Apr 10, 2011, 4:34 PM EDT
Updated at 5:41 p.m.
NEW YORK — Ryan Zimmerman was held out of the Nationals’ lineup for today’s series finale against the Mets after aggravating a prior abdominal strain sliding into second base the previous night.
The Nationals are hopeful two days of rest and treatment will be enough to allow Zimmerman to return, though they won’t know about his availability for this week’s homestand until Tuesday.
This is the same injury that sidelined Zimmerman for three games early in spring training — he also missed time late in camp with a separate groin strain — and the third baseman has been experiencing some discomfort since Opening Day.
“When I slid into second last night, I hurt it a little more,” Zimmerman said. “It’s one of those things where we’ll see how it feels. … It feels bad enough not to play today. So worse than it was [during spring training], but it’s not terrible. So we’ll see.”
Read more (including Adam LaRoche update)
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals