Apr 10, 2011, 4:34 PM EDT
Updated at 5:41 p.m.
NEW YORK — Ryan Zimmerman was held out of the Nationals’ lineup for today’s series finale against the Mets after aggravating a prior abdominal strain sliding into second base the previous night.
The Nationals are hopeful two days of rest and treatment will be enough to allow Zimmerman to return, though they won’t know about his availability for this week’s homestand until Tuesday.
This is the same injury that sidelined Zimmerman for three games early in spring training — he also missed time late in camp with a separate groin strain — and the third baseman has been experiencing some discomfort since Opening Day.
“When I slid into second last night, I hurt it a little more,” Zimmerman said. “It’s one of those things where we’ll see how it feels. … It feels bad enough not to play today. So worse than it was [during spring training], but it’s not terrible. So we’ll see.”
Read more (including Adam LaRoche update)
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals Arizona Fall League update
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nationals roster review: Kevin Frandsen
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists