Apr 11, 2011, 1:49 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Catcher Wilson Ramos shakes hands with first baseman Ivan Rodriguez.
NEW YORK — Adam LaRoche had every reason to be down in the dumps. The Nationals first baseman had been forced out of today’s game in the 11th inning after aggravating a groin injury sliding into second base. This, on top of the shoulder tear LaRoche is attempting to play through.
Though he’s admittedly frustrated these nagging injuries turned him into a spectator at the end of the wildest game of the Nationals’ young season — a 7-3, extra-inning victory over the Mets that seemingly featured it all — LaRoche couldn’t help but smile about the manner in which his new team is going about its business.
“This group of guys has a chance to be something special,” he said. “You can see it in here when guys show up. You can see it after a loss when everybody’s patting each other on the back and pulling for each other the next day.”
And you could see it during this all-hands-on-deck win, one that required every player on the Nationals’ bench to contribute, pitcher Jordan Zimmermann to pinch-hit and drop a sacrifice bunt, future Hall-of-Fame catcher Ivan Rodriguez to finish out the game at first base and No. 3 and No. 4 hitters Ryan Zimmerman and LaRoche to watch from the dugout due to injury.
“Shows a lot about this team and the direction we’re going in,” said right-hander Jason Marquis, who struck out nine batters over six superb innings to keep his team in the game.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats