Apr 11, 2011, 1:49 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Catcher Wilson Ramos shakes hands with first baseman Ivan Rodriguez.
NEW YORK — Adam LaRoche had every reason to be down in the dumps. The Nationals first baseman had been forced out of today’s game in the 11th inning after aggravating a groin injury sliding into second base. This, on top of the shoulder tear LaRoche is attempting to play through.
Though he’s admittedly frustrated these nagging injuries turned him into a spectator at the end of the wildest game of the Nationals’ young season — a 7-3, extra-inning victory over the Mets that seemingly featured it all — LaRoche couldn’t help but smile about the manner in which his new team is going about its business.
“This group of guys has a chance to be something special,” he said. “You can see it in here when guys show up. You can see it after a loss when everybody’s patting each other on the back and pulling for each other the next day.”
And you could see it during this all-hands-on-deck win, one that required every player on the Nationals’ bench to contribute, pitcher Jordan Zimmermann to pinch-hit and drop a sacrifice bunt, future Hall-of-Fame catcher Ivan Rodriguez to finish out the game at first base and No. 3 and No. 4 hitters Ryan Zimmerman and LaRoche to watch from the dugout due to injury.
“Shows a lot about this team and the direction we’re going in,” said right-hander Jason Marquis, who struck out nine batters over six superb innings to keep his team in the game.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect