Apr 11, 2011, 1:49 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Catcher Wilson Ramos shakes hands with first baseman Ivan Rodriguez.
NEW YORK — Adam LaRoche had every reason to be down in the dumps. The Nationals first baseman had been forced out of today’s game in the 11th inning after aggravating a groin injury sliding into second base. This, on top of the shoulder tear LaRoche is attempting to play through.
Though he’s admittedly frustrated these nagging injuries turned him into a spectator at the end of the wildest game of the Nationals’ young season — a 7-3, extra-inning victory over the Mets that seemingly featured it all — LaRoche couldn’t help but smile about the manner in which his new team is going about its business.
“This group of guys has a chance to be something special,” he said. “You can see it in here when guys show up. You can see it after a loss when everybody’s patting each other on the back and pulling for each other the next day.”
And you could see it during this all-hands-on-deck win, one that required every player on the Nationals’ bench to contribute, pitcher Jordan Zimmermann to pinch-hit and drop a sacrifice bunt, future Hall-of-Fame catcher Ivan Rodriguez to finish out the game at first base and No. 3 and No. 4 hitters Ryan Zimmerman and LaRoche to watch from the dugout due to injury.
“Shows a lot about this team and the direction we’re going in,” said right-hander Jason Marquis, who struck out nine batters over six superb innings to keep his team in the game.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers