Apr 11, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth faces his former Phillies teammates for the first time tomorrow night.
NEW YORK — Jayson Werth was holding court with a group of reporters Saturday at Citi Field, fielding questions about his impending rendezvous with the Phillies, when someone pointed out his new team was on a winning streak.
“Two? Is that a streak?” the Nationals’ right fielder asked.
“For the Nationals, it is,” the reporter replied.
Werth playfully teased back for a moment before turning serious.
“Unfortunately, I feel like that’s the expectations of this team, things like that,” he said. “I feel like that’s a very typical answer from, not the guys in here, but I feel like that’s the expectation of the fans and the media. And that is something I want to change.”
Werth knew the daunting task he would face upon leaving Philadelphia in December to sign with the Nationals for seven years and $126 million. Having spent the previous four seasons playing for the annual NL East champions (not to mention the 2008 World Series winners) he was now headed to a franchise that had yet to post a winning record in its first six years in the District.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats