Apr 11, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth faces his former Phillies teammates for the first time tomorrow night.
NEW YORK — Jayson Werth was holding court with a group of reporters Saturday at Citi Field, fielding questions about his impending rendezvous with the Phillies, when someone pointed out his new team was on a winning streak.
“Two? Is that a streak?” the Nationals’ right fielder asked.
“For the Nationals, it is,” the reporter replied.
Werth playfully teased back for a moment before turning serious.
“Unfortunately, I feel like that’s the expectations of this team, things like that,” he said. “I feel like that’s a very typical answer from, not the guys in here, but I feel like that’s the expectation of the fans and the media. And that is something I want to change.”
Werth knew the daunting task he would face upon leaving Philadelphia in December to sign with the Nationals for seven years and $126 million. Having spent the previous four seasons playing for the annual NL East champions (not to mention the 2008 World Series winners) he was now headed to a franchise that had yet to post a winning record in its first six years in the District.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day