Apr 11, 2011, 7:12 PM EDT
The Nationals will place Ryan Zimmerman on the 15-day disabled list tomorrow with a strained abdominal muscle, a club source confirmed.
Zimmerman sat out yesterday’s game in New York after aggravating the injury sliding into second base the previous night. He hoped rest and treatment would alleviate the strain enough to allow him to return to the lineup tomorrow against the Phillies, but team officials didn’t want to take the chance.
The move will be retroactive to Sunday, meaning Zimmerman will be eligible to return April 25.
This is the same injury that sidelined Zimmerman for three games early in spring training — he also missed time late in camp with a separate groin strain — and the third baseman had been experiencing some discomfort since Opening Day.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats to interview former manager of year for open job
- Report: Former Nats player to interview for open manager job
- Mets, Cubs aim to clinch NLCS berths as playoffs continue
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'