Apr 11, 2011, 7:12 PM EST
The Nationals will place Ryan Zimmerman on the 15-day disabled list tomorrow with a strained abdominal muscle, a club source confirmed.
Zimmerman sat out yesterday’s game in New York after aggravating the injury sliding into second base the previous night. He hoped rest and treatment would alleviate the strain enough to allow him to return to the lineup tomorrow against the Phillies, but team officials didn’t want to take the chance.
The move will be retroactive to Sunday, meaning Zimmerman will be eligible to return April 25.
This is the same injury that sidelined Zimmerman for three games early in spring training — he also missed time late in camp with a separate groin strain — and the third baseman had been experiencing some discomfort since Opening Day.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen