Apr 12, 2011, 10:38 PM EDT
Their No. 3 hitter was placed on the disabled list with an abdominal strain that will keep him out at least 15 days, quite possibly more. Their No. 4 hitter was held out of the lineup with a mild groin strain, despite his insistence he could play. And their No. 5 hitter was a mid-afternoon scratch due to flu-like symptoms.
The Nationals sure picked the wrong time to face the four-time defending NL East champion Phillies.
“We’re OK,” manager Jim Riggleman insisted. “This is just something you go through now and then.”
Maybe so, but the Nationals certainly found themselves hamstrung heading into Tuesday night’s series opener against Philadelphia, with Ryan Zimmerman on the DL, Adam LaRoche out with the strained groin and Michael Morse out with an illness.
The prolonged loss of Zimmerman will be felt most on the Nationals’ roster. After aggravating the same abdominal strain that hampered him early in spring training, the third baseman was hopeful rest and treatment would allow him to return quickly. Instead, team officials decided he needed to be shut down for at least five days, necessitating the DL stint.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins